Breaking News
recent

Manchester United's Three Amigos

Article by Robert Osborne

Subscribe to the e-Football Podcast for FREE on iTunes (Click Here)


Three players have stood out for me this season in different ways, but all bring happiness and hope for me. These three are De Gea, Rojo and Herrera. Let's analyse why they have impressed me this season:

David De Gea

I do not believe there is a goalkeeper on this planet better than him. The massive improvement is constantly talked about, but it's the degree of consistent improvement I've enjoyed, along with his desire to strengthen on his weaknesses game on game. His stats are stunning, but it's his annoyance at conceding that impresses me most. He reminds me of 2 great keepers we've had in the past, and when you consider his age it is quite remarkable. He now regularly takes control of his box during set pieces, and whilst there are still occasional lapses of communication with some brainless defenders (Evans, smalling and jones) he is a smooth footballer with the ball at his feet. I read a stat today that without him we would be in the relegation zone, and that isn't too hard to believe.

Marcos Rojo

By far the most impressive signing this summer I have been thoroughly impressed. As a regular Fifa/football manager player, I have scouted every country in the world and often spend more time scouting than actually playing these games. Yet somehow Rojo evaded my scouting network (an extensive one I assure you). He is the 21st century Pallister (stick with me). Sir Alex said Palli was a great footballer but it was often overlooked, and I feel the same. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet or competing in the air. In the Fa cup I've heard "Rojo will know he's been in a game today" against strong strikers who are more battering ram than beautiful rabona's (yep, World Cup rabona's on my mind), yet he never looks ruffled. He's quick, stylish and has a competitive streak that you imagine he flies off the handle if he loses at Monopoly! With him United look so much stronger and calmer than the calamitous trio aforementioned. I also smile at his comments about being at the club, far more than lip service, instead genuine words. For me he alongside De Gea could be a future captain for the club.

Andre Herrera

Has Herrera worked out that LVG's current philosophy is lump the ball to Fellaini? Whatever it is, he is being overlooked for a midfield in which he improves massively. I must admit I felt we got the wrong player from Bilbao, instead I would have plumped for Muniain, but I'm a fan of tricky wingers with a penchant for the unpredictable. However the moment I saw him play I knew he was special. I've heard people say he doesn't dominate games and they are right. He floats through games making important tackles, passes and picking up great positions. He reminds of Iniesta 2009 who drifted in and out to devastating effect- and Herrera can do the same if given the run. He is such an intelligent footballer who is unafraid to try things, borne from a Spanish confidence symptomatic with all players in the current era. However the added bonus is his bite in midfield. He will happily throw himself into a challenge and come out with the ball as he will lay off a deliciously intelligent through ball. His technique is unquestioned, and his ability to pop up with a goal is something United fans have bemoaned for years, yet for some reason he can't break through. I can't work out why because he has the enthusiasm and energy to keep going, and has proven his link up play with various team mates. My only wish is for him to take control a little more and actually drive with the ball at times, instead of constantly passing off.

I'll end this piece with a brief review of the match last night -

Match review of Man Utd vs Preston:

The fact Kevin Davies is allowed, almost revered for his rough and ready playing style is the symbol of a country that is still blood and thunder. He constantly pushes, pulls and quite frankly endangers opposition players yet is allowed to continue with it. How he escaped a red tonight is beyond belief. Preston battled well and United's build up play was slow and loboured. I again got the feeling of arrogance from the players, and a lack of hunger until they went behind. I see a quote from a journalist who said it reminds him of Barca '08 in that it's possession for possessions sake which I agree with. Before you bite my head off this team is nowhere near as good.

The recovery was typical United which was nice to see, and one more thing- Rooney dived. The keeper however allowed for him to do it, and no one was moaning when Martin Keown commented, acknowledged and approved of Davies diving with "less than the slightest touch". 2 wrongs don't make a right, but when you have a giant hurtling out at you and there is a history of metatarsals being broken I can understand the jump, but not the conning that Rooney engaged in. Arsenal await next and quite frankly they don't bother me at all. The soft belly is still there and the defence is awful, similar to United in many ways!

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.