Breaking News
recent

World Cup Draw From an Aussie/Italian Point of View

Article by Daniel Pisani

Australia

Call it lucky but my heritage and immediate family are all Italian but I was born in Australia so I get to follow 2 teams at next years World Cup in Brazil.

Chile, Spain & Netherlands - could the Aussie's have asked for a harder group? I tell you what, we wanted to England in our group but never the less we will take these teams and head on too!! 

Chile will be our first game and up against the likes of Barcelona star Alexis Sanchez and 2 Juventus stars in Arturo Vidal & Isla won't be easy at all.

This is the match where Australia can find a point and due to the fact it is the first game of the competition for both sides, emotions will run high. So I expect the Aussies to not back down at all. The national side is going through some what of a transition with appointing new head coach Ange Postecoglou to the bench and with only 6 months to fix the massive problems within the squad I feel as though we will be there to make up the numbers. In saying that though Aussies have that "never say never" type mentality and I'm sure Tim Cahill and Co will bring this to Brazil where they will look to cause a couple of upsets.
 
I see Australia being that team who ruins the chances for the others, say that Netherlands need 3 points in the final game and Ange decides lets play 5 or more behind the ball and ruin it for them.
 
All in all, the Socceroos and a massive mountain to climb and if the gaffer continues to pick Lucas Neill then it's all down hill from there, I know personally that when I'm in Brazil this summer and I see Lucas Neill on the team sheet then I will concede the loss and head straight to the bar. He was ONCE an Aussie Hero, Our Captain but he has over stayed his welcome in the heart of the defence and the whole country is starting to get sick of him. He isn't playing regular club football and still the captain of our nation? please!!
 
So lets call it how we see it and predict the Socceroos will NOT qualify through group stage and that they will finish on ZERO points.
 
Prediction - GROUP B
  1. Netherlands
  2. Chile
  3. Spain
  4. Australia
Italy
 
I think Italy will have this group easy but then again it's Italy and they make their fans bite their nails off until the last group game which they end up winning well anyways but this time around I believe it will be different. I know I'm writing for a UK website but let's be honest, under Roy Hodgson it's been a disaster and England are the team you would have hoped to get out of all the European countries in that pot. Uruguay will be a danger especially with Suarez and Cavani up top but can they defend?
 
The Azzurri will hav one hell of a strike force with Rossi, Balotelli, Osvaldo and Insigne to pick from. Then the midfield will be stacked with Marchisio, Pirlo, Veratti, Thiago Motta, De Rossi & Diamanti. The defence speaks for itself with now veterans Bazragli, Bonucci & Chiellini holding the defence tight with maybe surprise inclusion Ogbonna to join them. In goals will be the ever present Gigi Buffon with PSG keeper Sirigu waiting just behind in a number 2 capacity.
 
I'm always biased when I speak about the Italian team and although being outplayed by Spain in the EURO 2012 final I thought that this is team was on its way to becoming the great 2006 World Cup team and I believe it's set up to be that.
 
I think that Pirlo will be the key man as he has been for years but still teams cannot figure out how to stop him. Even in the Serie A where it is 90% tactically driven teams cannot stop him as it seems as though he is just like a good bottle of wine. Just getting better with age.
 
So I'm calling an Italian white wash with the full 9 points coming their way.
 
Prediction - GROUP D
  1. Italy
  2. Uruguay
  3. England
  4. Costa Rica
 
Daniel Joseph Pisani #23

© e-Football 2013 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.