Breaking News
recent

The Next Liverpool Captain Should Be.......

Article by Craig Muncey

Follow e-Liverpool on Twitter - Click Here
'Like' e- Liverpool on Facebook - Click Here

Join e-Liverpool's Facebook Group - Click Here

With Steven Gerrard departing, Liverpool need to select a new captain for next season. Seemingly the armband seems to be handed over to Jordan Henderson, who covered last season when Gerrard did not play, but is this the right move?

As I see it right now, there is 6 potential candidates which I will go through and whether I believe they are the correct choice for next season.

1. Jordan Henderson - The 24 year old, captained Liverpool last season in a number of matches and has also captained England under 21's, but is he the man to lead Liverpool next season? For me, I would not make him captain, I think he has enough on his hands trying to now be the main central midfielder at the club, so would allow him to settle into that. He does not strike me as natural leader seems quite introvert, so I feel to early in his progression as a footballer to put the captain's armband on him right now.

Henderson Captain?
2. Simon Mignolet - Keepers by there very nature should be vocal, and can see the game happening in front of them so has chances to put their point across, so you do see quite a few keepers as captains. However for me, keepers are to far away from the action, and cannot have quiet word with the officials or his manager if a chat or a change in tactics are required, I would personally prefer a centre half or a central midfielder as captain in an ideal world. Mignolet for me is not captain material, he needs to try and establish himself as number one keeper, less than a year ago, Brendan Rodgers dropped him for his own good, so for me not an option.

3. Mamadou Sakho - The French international captained his previous side Paris St Germain at 17 years of age, still the youngest captain in Ligue 1 history, is he the man to lead Liverpool? Certainly has some leader attributes, not afraid to put his body on the line, is a presence on the pitch etc, but in my opinion would not consider him as captain quite yet. Still looks shaky for Liverpool needs to establish himself in the first team with Dejan Lovren ready potentially to take his shirt. So non.

4. James Milner - Yes, I know not yet trained with squad or even played for Liverpool, however this player has character, does not hide, and has credibility on a football pitch. Has captained England as well, may have been only for 10 minutes but captain never the less! In my opinion is a credible candidate, however, with a team under pressure as Liverpool will be, putting the captaincy on a player who has yet to make his debut is this a step to far? In my opinion no, Milner is the best candidate, is a guaranteed starter for Liverpool, has played at top level for Manchester City last couple of seasons and was well respected there, and is never say die attitude, the players and the fans will love him, and is exactly what the club need.

5. Martin Skrtel - Been at the club for 9 years and captains his national team, plays with passion and desire is he the answer? Again, I see him as a possibility, right now in my eyes he is Liverpool's best centre back, so to hear their is an issue with his contract offer is concerning, unless Liverpool have a world class centre back lined up to join, they should be looking to resolve this issue with Skrtel as soon as possible. For me, a little sweetener I would use on the contract front is to say to Skrtel how much he is wanted at the club and I would offer him the vice captaincy, a role I believe he would relish.

6. Adam Lallana - Has captained Southampton in the Premiership for a couple of seasons, converses intelligently when heard him interviewed, has ability on a football to motivate those around him the answer? Not for me, again Lallana, needs to establish himself in starting 11 for Liverpool, I am still not convinced Rodgers is completely taken with him, and when he does start he is more often than not substituted, so going by that cannot be captain.

In closing captains come in all types of players, those who shout and bellow and spill blood for the cause and those who inspire and motivate by what they can do with a football on the pitch. Liverpool do lack leaders that is very clear. But I do think with players such as Milner, Skrtel and Henderson we could be seeing the start of a change.

© e-Media Group 2015 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of @e_media_group

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.