Breaking News
recent

A Problem Like Joniesta

Article by e-Crystal Palace Correspondent Dave Graham

Click here to follow e-Crystal Palace on Twitter!

I wince as I write this. The genius of Tony Pulis is now all too obvious. My questioning of him may therefore mean I come under fire.

I was anti the appointment of TP (Pulis). I didn't think he, or anybody, could keep us up. That was the first reason.

The second went something like this...

If we (Palace) were to go down then we should build for the future. Youth and all that. Appoint a manager who would play the likes of Jonny Williams aka "Joniesta", as much as his little legs could manage. Judging by his past, TP wasn't that manager.

Regarding the first reason, I was wrong. Steve Parish and the board (known as CPFC2010) were right. We stayed up, in style. We now have another season in the top flight. A load more cash. Cash to invest in our crumbly infrastructure.

I write the following (wincing remember) as my second reason for originally being anti-TP lingers.

The future of Joniesta seemingly hangs in the balance. His future at Selhurst anyway. Swansea want him. A step up for the attacking midfielder who is hugely popular with our fans.

He has said he wants to stay, but that he wants to be playing. Fair.

Jonny's career has been blighted with injuries and appearances have been limited as a result. So, TP said the lad needed games and he was sent on loan to Ipswich. He played, and starred (of course).

The fear, one that is shared by the fans and probably the player alike, is that TP will continue not to pick Jonny due to his stature. He's a little guy.

Swansea have no such issues with stature (see Leon Britton). I'd be tempted if i were Williams.

I believe the future of Jonny Williams may define our current identity.

Are we a club that looks to youth? One focussed, and that prides itself, on developing it's academy products? We've always preached as much.

Or are we a club that wants to use the prize of top flight earnings to improve infrastructure and credibility?

I want us to be both, as I bet CPFC2010 (the board) do.

The questions I leave you with are - can Pulis define us as both? (I hope so).

And following on from that - would Joniesta's departure highlight Pulis' limitations? An inability tactically accommodate such a good footballer.

I want Joniesta to stay and am sure he's good enough to command a starting berth. I'm not Premier League Manager of the Year however.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.