Breaking News
recent

Kagisho Dikgacoi - The debate

Article by Dave Graham @DaveG_blog

Click here to follow e-Crystal Palace on Twitter!


I got my wish. He's gone.

But why is, or was, opinion on Kagisho Dikgacoi (KG) so divided? For every fan who berated him mid-game, there was another who glared at them as if to say, "how dare you?".

I have trawled twitter and Palace forums and taken note of the differing stances. Those on both side of the KG fence. You already know on which side I sit. I'll tell you why.

But first an intro, for anybody non-Palace. Dikgacoi is a defensive central midfielder. He has many attributes of a very good one too.

He joined Palace permanently in 2011, after what then manager Dougie Freedman deemed a successful 13 game loan spell. From then he made a further 92 appearances. His best performances were unquestionably alongside Mile Jedinak.

KG helped us find safety, in two divisions, and promotion. The lad deserves thanks, that goes without saying.

His advocates cite a number of reasons for vilifying those who were anti. I will use this blog to argue a few and believe that those on my side of said fence will agree. And as one final vent I suppose.

The main argument of those pro-KG seems to be that he played, consistently, under three full time managers. A good point/fact.

I read a little differently into this;

• We were relatively skint under Freedman. Once he invested in KG, he had to play him.
• Holloway has no clue as to what constitutes a decent defensive player.
• Pulis didn't push the boat out to keep him.

Dikgacoi's fans have suggested he was the perfect foil for Jedinak. Their partnership did seem a decent one I'll give you that.

This was, in my opinion, largely down to Jedinak though. We all know what a man mountain Mile is. Fit, mobile, combative and he appears to be everywhere. Playing alongside Jedinak as a defensive midfield duo, KG often looked like he was playing a game of piggy in the middle with the opposition. He appeared to be nowhere.

Was he the perfect foil, or was he too often carried by Jedinak. The latter, I think. I put this not necessarily down to ability, but fitness.

"If they get him fit and keep him fit he'll be a good player." That's a quote and insight into KG's shortcomings from Tony Pulis. Aside from that TP has praised the player, citing, as I have done, his natural attributes.

Some have said we will miss Dikgacoi. I don't buy it. A fit Dikgacoi perhaps. He was rarely that. He's very easily replaceable.

Tell me, did you see this past season's stats for English Premier League right backs? Did you see Joel Ward at #1? Citing these stats, did you ask why he hasn't received an England call-up?

Search; 'who scored top of the flops' online.

You will find a piece from March naming KG in the "Worst Premier League XI". Scroll down and read the summary on him. It's damning.

I thank you for your service KG, but am more thankful you chose Cardiff's "special offer". We move on, as do you.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.