Breaking News
recent

Chelsea FC: Don’t blame West Ham

Article by e-Chelsea Correspondent Lee Beevor

Follow e-Chelsea on Twitter!

It has taken me some time to recover from the frustration felt following Chelsea’s goal less draw with West Ham. The strength of this feeling has nothing to do with the way the away team conducted themselves during the match. That is not to say I did not curse them every time they took an age to take a throw-in or free kick. It is fair to say if I was Samuel Eto’o, who was required to act as an extra ball boy just to try and get the game going, I would have shown less restraint in my conversations with keeper Adrian. Despite this negative emotion, I do not in any way blame West Ham for their tactics.

A team fighting against relegation, in a fortress of a stadium against far superior players, has no option but to dig in and scrap. This is exactly what West Ham did and if I supported them I would be delighted with their effort. To see players flinging themselves in front of shots to block the ball, not once but ten times or more, causes the heart of a fan to swell with pride. The time wasting was necessary to give them a breather and to shorten the game as much as possible. I did not enjoy it, but I understand it.

Nor will I criticise my own team for failing to score. 39 shots on goal exceeds by fifteen the number Manchester City managed in thrashing Tottenham. In the same manner, I defy anybody to fault the Chelsea team for their endeavour. They simply tried everything, launching wave after wave of attacks and pushing until the last second to strive for an elusive winner. A world class striker may have made the difference, but those available did not play badly and there were no glaring misses.

After the match, there were plenty on the phone-ins and twitter decrying the absence of Juan Mata. Frankly such stupidity astounds me, but I shall respond to the bait anyway. In Juan’s full seasons at Chelsea we finished in sixth and third position. In neither year did we mount a challenge for the title, instead looking forward to cup matches as a diversion from inconsistent league form. Almost instantly, Jose Mourinho has transformed this and once again we are contenders. He has changed the way we play to be more dynamic and less reactive. Juan does not fit this strategy, Oscar does and we are better placed for it – be grateful and enjoy it!

I am annoyed at the referee and linesmen for their spineless officiating. I cannot complain too much about the holding of JT, Cahill and Branislav at corners, as the same gentlemen have been known to do so when they defend! A yellow card to deter the time wasters would have been nice, but is not compulsory. The derisory four minutes of added time however, is another story. To reward West Ham in this way is a dereliction of their duty and they should be taken to task for their appalling misjudgement. Nevertheless, whilst another 60 seconds may well have been enough, I do not attribute this as the cause of the result.

For this is the unpredictability of football. It is why we love the game and the reason we watch and debate the sport every day of our lives. To wish the superior team always wins would deprive many supporters of their greatest memories. No Chelsea fan would trade the joy of Munich 2012 for three points last night. I can only hope the warm glow of victory against the odds returns to me next Monday night following a daunting trip to the Etihad!

© e-Football 2013 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

2 comments:

  1. Although only 4 mins were shown for extra time they actually played nearly 7 so don't understand why you are complaining about that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on! The West Ham player (o'brien I think?) was down injured for the last 2 minutes of normal time, which were simply added back to give the extra, extra time. Net of this, it remains 4 minutes, which is scandalous, assuming of course that you watched the game? And moaning, not really. Did you read the whole piece or just 2 or 3 lines?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.