Breaking News
recent

The Curious Case of Tom Cleverley

Article by Manchester United Correspondent Tony Gillies

I read an article the other day about Tom Cleverley, someone called him a Marmite player...either you love him or you hate him. Now for me hate is too strong a word and I've never heard any United supporter or England follower say they love him.

Follow e-Manchester United on Twitter here!

In my opinion and I don't think I'm on my own here, he is a player who isn't good enough for United and will do well for a club who's standards are not up to the expectations of United. You only have to look back a couple of years for my point to be proved. When he was on loan at Wigan he was the main man in that team, pulling the strings in midfield and putting in performances that kept Wigan in the Premiership even on he's return to United when he broke into the first team at the beginning of the 2011-12 season he's performances against Tottenham and in the 8-2 win against Arsenal, he was full of confidence, which made us United fans stand up and take notice of him but if anybody can show me a game where he has stood out since I'll be shocked. He has lost he's confidence, he misplaces silly passes, gets caught in possession all too easily and gets caught napping at vital stages in matches which have cost us points this season, just look back at the defeat at home to Newcastle this season he was miles away during the build up to the Cabaye goal and the clumsy challenge on Adam Johnson for the penalty last night which could cost us a crack at the only piece of silverware still within our reach this season.

I've heard many excuses for him; mainly he's age but I'm not buying into that, people seem to forget he's 24, nearly at the 'prime' age of he's career but he is not progressing, for him to fulfil he's potential he needs to be sold, he'd stand out at a team like Aston Villa, West Ham or Norwich. For he's ego and for he's confidence to return he needs to be the 'main man' and I believe if he is sold to a team mentioned above he will look good once again.

We've been here before with the likes of Kieron Richardson, Phil Bardsley, Darron Gibson and Ryan Shawcross all really good players and have proved it when sold to mid table Premiership teams, but not quite cut from the Manchester United cloth. I hope for Tom Cleverley’s own sake that come the start of next season he is no longer pulling on the famous red shirt.

© e-Football 2013 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.